In 2006, we started the Friends Scheme. It was a big birthday for Wendy Arthur (she likes to be known as the “1st Friend”). Her pal Janice Woods wanted to buy her something a little different so she chatted to me about potentially doing something similar to the Royal Ballet. What a good idea I thought!
Now, 14 years on we have 33 fantastic Studio Friends and they are entitled to the following benefits:
• Discount on everything including loyalty cards, classes, workshops, merchandise, and studio hire.
• Preferential booking on outings and workshops
• 3 – 4 soirees a year
• A Xmas gift at the AGM each year
• An invitation to the AGM/Xmas get-together each year
• A chance to be in the Friend’s show number!
The Friends are a huge support (in many ways) to Emma and have been there for her through thick and thin. Anyone can join in and be a Friend. It is £7 a month as a standing order and can be stopped at any point too.
First Dance Studios is a very special place. It is so friendly and welcoming and totally inclusive. The classes are so much fun and such a positive for well being. Totally unique and I love it!
The 1st Friends show number was in 2012 and it went down a storm! Here is the list of Friends’ performances
• 2012 show – “Gotta Get a Gimmick” from Gypsy
• 2014 show – “One Night Only” from Dreamgirls
• 2016 show – Eurovision!
• 2018 show – “Who Loves You” from Jersey Boys
• 2020 show (to be done in 2022) – “Opening Up” from Waitress
Thank you to the Friends for their continued support and Friendship.
I’ve danced with FDS for over 10 years (and done Pilates and exercise classes) and have enjoyed every minute – from friendly fellow dancers to inspiring and supportive teachers. No matter what your ability, age and dance/ fitness requirements, there is something for everyone at the studio.
I have been part of Emma’s dance classes for nearly 20 years and First Dance has become my second family. I have made lifelong friends here and love the style of teaching which is all about enjoying dancing at all levels and ages. Emma is an amazing lady who encourages and praises everyone in their abilities. She is one of a kind and I will continue to come for another 20 years to be part of such a fun welcoming group of like minded people.